Ride to the Flags VIII to Benefit Marine Cpl. Kyle Moser

Marine Cpl. Kyle Moser

White Heart Foundation's Ride to the Flags has selected a beneficiary for their 8th annual motorcycle ride - Marine Cpl. Kyle Moser.

The ride will begin from the Naval Base Ventura County - Pt. Mugu and end at Malibu Bluffs Park - adjacent to Pepperdine University's Wave of Flags 9/11 memorial display.  

Corporal Kyle Moser was deployed to Afghanistan in August 2011. He was a rifleman and radio operator with the unit 2/4 from Camp Pendleton in California. On November 22, 2011, Kyle’s squad was one of three squads taking part in a KLE, Key Leaders Engagement. As he was leading his team to provide security, Kyle swept for IEDs or Improvised Explosive Devises. While there are a few types of metal detectors used by the Marine Corps to search for the pressure triggered bombs underground, only one type of those detectors can pick up the signal of carbon fiber rods, which are now more commonly used to construct the traps. Unfortunately, Kyle was not able to use one of these sweepers. As he came upon some loose dirt, Kyle advised his team leader that they should turn around and take another route as loose dirt often signifies an IED was planted nearby. The very next step Kyle took to turn around flipped his life upside down.. literally. The next thing Kyle knew he heard the loudest boom he had ever heard in his life as he was blasted back through the air among thick black smoke and dust. Kyle felt no pain and was completely unaware that he landed on top of his team leader who was standing behind him before the explosion. All Kyle knew at this point was that his legs were gone and his vision was becoming blurry.

Kyle’s brothers came to his side to try their best to save his life. Kyle felt a cutting pain of the tourniquets being applied to his arm and legs as he told his fellow Marines to pass on his last words of love and sorrow to his family and friends. As the corpsman cared for him and his brothers gave him encouragement that he would make it though, Kyle began to regain his vision and his hope that he could live through this. His body ravaged and barely hanging onto life, Kyle fell asleep knowing that he was now in safe hands out of reach of the Taliban. 

The IED, composed of ten pounds of homemade explosive material, hit Kyle hard and he bled out 19 units of blood. This information was not relayed to the wounded warrior until later when he was recovering in the hospital. He also did not know that the base he was at in Afghanistan did not have enough B Positive blood to replace all that he had lost. With the young Marine’s life on the line, any military member present who had B Positive blood lined up to donate theirs in hopes to keep him alive. 

The next few days Kyle was flown to various Marine bases making his way to Landstuhl, Germany. Kyle endured very long surgeries while the doctors washed out his many wounds and attempted to save as much of his legs as possible. Finally, Kyle was able to make a phone call to his family, giving them the comfort of hearing his familiar yet weak voice. On November 27, 2011, Kyle was pronounced stable enough to endure the long flight to Bethesda, Maryland. Kyle was admitted to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center upon his arrival, and the very next morning his wife and parents were by his side to help him through the upcoming months of his life changing journey. 

Kyle’s injuries included double above-knee amputations, a partial amputation of his ring finger, lacerations to his arms and face, severe soft tissue damage and skin loss to his legs and arms, loss of some wrist and hand bones, a fractured pelvis, moderate traumatic brain injury, as well as severe damage to both ear drums. Although the 19-year-old’s body was severely injured, his determination and positive life attitude was not damaged. When Kyle was told about the other military members who donated their blood for his life, it grasped his heart. He knew he had to do everything he could to recover to try and show them his tremendous gratitude. Kyle fought through a weakening infection caused by bacteria and foreign bodies entering his blood stream from the blast, and endured surgeries every other day, some lasting as long as 14 hours. Kyle worked his best to regain his health and strength, and by the end of December he was getting out of his hospital bed and into his wheel chair as much as possible. Soon he started physical therapy and occupational therapy as an inpatient, and by mid-January he was getting discharged from the hospital.

This year, White Heart has decided to help the efforts of Jared Allen’s Homes for Wounded Warriors to provide the Mosers with a mortgage-free handicap accessible home to better suit their needs.

With your help, we can build this awesome house with Jared Allen and his team.

Our fundraising launch for Cpl. Moser will begin on July 10th.